REMESHING MY 3D ASSETS AND REDUCING POLY COUNT
Hello guys and gals, Welcome to another episode of 'MY GAME-DEV JOURNEY' Today I wanna talk about optimizing my 3d asset for a better frame rate. According the unity guide lines... I found out that the recommended poly count for 3d assets targeting mobile-end devices was 300-1500 per mesh.
Initially, my 3d-model was just a giant singular mesh worth 5000 polygons. That was way above the recommended limit.
One of the ways I tackled this problem was to divide my models into different mesh groups. I divided the head, torso, hands, legs into different meshes and began working on each mesh separately.
There are various ways you can re-mesh your 3d-models within blender, I choose to use manual re-topology to re-mesh the face, that is because I wanted to be in control of the details I still wanted to preserve... using the in-built unity tools can be unpredictable and your 3d-asset can start losing details and looking like Voldemort 😂... When I was done with the face, I used the unity in-built tool of 're-mesh' and 'decimate' for the rest of the meshes.
At the end of the day, each mesh was significantly below the accepted poly-limit for mobile devices, The highest mesh-count was the head... with 1,200 polygons.
Another issue I want to resolve in regards to the 3d-model is the hairstyle...
I dunno... It's giving snoop-dog looking vibes, with the slick-back ponytails lol, The look I was aiming for was a typical Nigerian urban-street youth, I'm thinking of changing the hair to dreads-style. I also wanna add other characters to the game also, a female character for sure and maybe a 'crypto-bro' character - a dude in a suit, with a BlueTooth earpiece holding a suit-case.... very stereotypical I know 😂
Anyway, that is all for today, You can check my previous episode HERE.
see you soon ☺️