Ewedu is one of the popular Nigerian soups of all time. Haha. It is more common among the Yorubas - an ethnic group in Nigeria. Ewedu leaves is known as Jute in English. Ewedu is a highly nutritious soup and it believed to help reduce weight.
Ewedu soup is easy to prepare just like ABC. In the olden days, our mothers use a short broom stick known as ijabe to puree ewedu but now it's a different narrative - blenders do the job perfectly well. On the other hand, ijabe gives it a kind of unique taste tho.
So, let's start with the cooking process
Locust beans known as iru
- Start by picking your ewedu leaves. Be sure to avoid detaching the stem with the leave
- Wash the leaves thoroughly to remove all dirt.
- Pour a cup of water or two inside your pot. Add the ewedu leaves into the boiling water. Add your irú and crayfish.
- Boil for about 8 to 10 minutes under low heat
- Take the ewedu off the heat and allow to cool for a while. This is because you might spoil your blender if you blend something hot inside.
- Add the ewedu and blend till its smooth and puree.
- Turn the ewedu back into the pot
- Add salt and seasonings
- Let it be under low heat for about 2 minutes
- Stir to prevent it for burning.
- Ewedu is ready.